Skills you will learn
Adobe Illustrator, Drawing, Illustration, Instagram, Music, Sketch
About this course
This class is a comprehensive guide on how to make a repeat pattern using Adobe Draw and Adobe Illustrator. Maja will show you her workflow and the techniques that she uses and have developed. You will learn all of the basics including inspiration and ideas, sketching techniques, how to use Adobe Draw to vectorise your sketch and finally how to make the repeat in Adobe Illustrator. On top of all of the basics, Maja will also give you her tips on how to prevent getting stuck in the creative process and how she lets the pattern develop as she creates.
If you ever had the feeling of getting stuck in the creative process of making patterns, if you can recognise being afraid of a blank paper or if you think that it’s complicated and frustrating to make repeat patterns - then this class is for you.
What you’ll need to take the class
- Drawing materials – paper and colored pens/watercolors/crayons
- iPad Pro (or other drawing tablet) & a touch pen
- Adobe Draw (app on your iPad)
- Computer with Adobe Illustrator
What you'll learn
- Inspiration & ideas. Maja will show you what she looks to for inspiration and share her tips on how and where to find inspiration and ideas for patterns.
- Sketching. You will learn the techniques that Maja have developed and uses for sketching, including a rough brainstorming sketch and a pattern sketch.
- Draw on the iPad in Adobe Draw. You will learn how to use your iPad and Adobe Draw to vectorise your sketch, including the basics of drawing in Adobe Draw.
- Make the repeat in Illustrator. Maja will show you how to make a repeat pattern in Adobe Illustrator, which include fixing the details of your sketch and using the pattern tool. You will learn all of the basics that you need to know to make a repeat pattern in Illustrator.
- Recolor your pattern. You will learn how to recolor your pattern in Illustrator both using the recolor artwork tool and by manually changing colors.
- Finalize the file. You will learn how to create final pattern tiles and files, including working in different layers, using the clipping mask and merge your pattern tile.
- Let the pattern develop as you create. Maja will give you her tips on how to prevent from getting stuck in the creative process when you create and how to let the pattern develop as you create.
Follow Maja on Instagram @majaronnbackdesign and share your class project with the hashtag #majaskillshare. Learn more about Maja at her website www.majaronnback.com.
(Music used in the videos: bensound.com)